Current WGU employees must submit their internal application before 3/31/2021 to be considered for this position.
Western Governors University, Career & Professional Development (CPD) is seeking a self-motivated, intuitive, and energetic leader to provide support in executing university-wide employer engagement initiatives in a wide range of industries to increase experiential and employment opportunities for students. Responsible for managing and developing employer relations strategy and activities such as employer development, resource development, management of Handshake, marketing/communication with multiple internal and external stakeholders, and data/metric collection, reporting and analysis.
This position is expected to collaborate closely with internal and external WGU stakeholders such as students/alumni, university alumni relations, third party vendors, regional and national strategic partnership managers and account executives, employers, marketing, EdTech, relevant industry associations, annual giving, and academic colleges.
Diversity Equity & Inclusion- Our Foundation for Student Success
We believe in the inherent worth of every individual. We strive to provide a space for employees to feel comfortable being their authentic selves while offering opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are committed to promoting inclusion, belonging, respect for differences, equal opportunity, and diversity in our workplace. We believe in the power of education and the value of expanding access and opportunity to all individuals.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Employer Relations & Stakeholder Collaboration
- Develop existing employer WGU partnerships while conducting targeted and proactive organization and alumni research and outreach, including cold-calling and networking efforts to increase student opportunities.
- Collaborate with multiple university college/faculty representatives and strategic partnership managers to ensure services and engagement strategies meet employer, faculty, and student needs.
- Inform employers on recruiting options and strategies to meet their talent acquisition needs collaborating closely with the Senior Manager of Career & Professional Development
- Create new and innovative ways to promote career opportunities and connections between students and employers.
- Develop and implement policies to ensure high-quality recruiting program that reflects the inclusive and equitable needs and expectations of employers and students; Educate employers on best practices following DOL/NACE recruitment guidelines.
- Develop communications and marketing of employer related campaigns, services, resources, and events to constituents.
- Communicate extensively externally and internally in person, virtually and by telephone with key stakeholders.
Data & Administration
- Serve as Handshake subject matter expert, identifying new and innovative ways to leverage and increase student and alumni engagement within the platform.
- Manage daily operations of Handshake including approving employers and jobs, communicating with employers, creating, and updating employer, departmental events within the platform.
- Accountable for measuring and meeting success metrics and benchmarks for employer relations programming.
- Track and assess effectiveness of employer engagement, Handshake utilization, and resource success including data collection, reporting and analysis; ability to create data narratives for all stakeholders.
- Assists in CPD data collection, reporting, and analysis to inform decision-making, initiatives, and strategy.
- Contact employers for data collection, maintaining on-going relationships to ensure successful reporting.
Student & Alumni Engagement
- Develop and facilitate virtual programming focusing on Handshake logistics, career fairs, and employer events.
- Create student and alumni web content for CPD blog and social media, highlighting important employer information, events, and opportunities, as well as general career mobility topics.
- Collaborate and participate in various campus partner wide events such as Facebook Live Events, virtual and in-person commencements, and others.
- Partner with CPD Advising Team on expanding and enhancing service development and programming to ensure students and alumni are prepared for their career next steps (job search, career advancement, etc).
- Coordinate webinar and programming requests from employers, academic colleges, student organizations, strategic partnership managers, and other internal and external stakeholders.
- Plan and deliver large and small-scale virtual career events such as career fairs, employer information sessions, hiring events, interviews and other events that connect students and alumni to career opportunities.
- Develop success metrics and goals; compile data that supports event/programming success.
- Responsible for marketing and market analysis of career events; this includes developing copy for promotional materials and direct communication in WGU Handshake, CPD blog, and social media.
Knowledge and Abilities –
- Demonstrate the WGU cultural beliefs and leadership principles in all aspects of service to all stakeholders.
- Demonstrated proficiency in effective utilization and metric reporting in Handshake and Webex.
- Exceptional administrative, organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with the ability to interact effectively and diplomatically in a constantly changing and ambiguous environment.
- Skill in analyzing solutions and problems to recognize alternatives and formulate logical and objective solutions.
- Demonstrated project and event management experience including planning, executing and assessment of programs.
- Superior writing, editing, and proofreading written material including, but not limited to, email correspondence, marketing, social media and blog posts, website content, campus recruiting materials, presentations, and high-level proposals.
- Strong ability to anticipate and prioritize work assignments to complete work in a timely manner when faced with fluctuating workloads, pressures of deadlines and competing demands.
- Dedicated team player, performing duties and taking initiative and action to support CPD staff in various projects with complete follow-through and with a positive attitude while representing the department.
- Skilled collaborator with ability to work effectively with other university departments, with all levels of management and diverse groups of people; ability to present information to large and small groups of employers and/or students.
- Ability to work independently with only minimal management oversight, and exercise broad independent judgement.
- Technical expertise and proficiency in Handshake, Salesforce, Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and conferencing software such as Teams, Webex and Zoom; and to quickly learn other programs as needed.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, Business, Human Resources, Higher Education, or related discipline.
- 3+ years' experience in successful utilization and management of Handshake.
- 3+ years' experience in career services and/or recruiting, employer relations, internship development/coordination, human resources, university development, alumni relations or other related marketing and program management experience.
- Experience in developing and reporting on metrics, measurable benchmarks including the collection, reporting and analysis of data; OR experience with collecting and analysis of first destination surveys or career impact data.
- Master's degree in related field preferred.
- 5+ years’ experience preferred in career services and/or recruiting, sales, employer relations, business development, human resources, university development, alumni relations or other related marketing and program management experience.
- Must have excellent technical skills (Handshake, Word, Excel and Access, Smartsheet, and additional software utilized in the Career Development profession) and to quickly learn other programs as needed.
- Some evening and weekend hours may be required to support departmental events and initiatives.
- Periodic travel required to represent WGU at local and national events.