The Chief Engineer of Enterprise Architecture, Integration, and Platforms (EAIP) is a newly created role that will promote sound software architecture, technical discipline, and reduced technical debt through implementation, leadership, mentoring, and advocacy.
This is a critical role for us to fill as our platform plans for the next year are reliant on their ability to define technical excellence in our builds. We are focused on 4 main areas in the coming year that this individual needs to lead the architectural direction of:
- Definition and delivery of the Health Care Platform
- Optimization of the developer experience
- Consolidating and normalizing our Identity and Authentication platforms and patterns
- Creating a technical strategy for normalizing our data platforms, management, and governance
Specific responsibilities will include:
- Monitor emerging trends in software, infrastructure, and AI to help maintain a competitive advantage for UHG products and teams
- Set the technical vision for engineering within EAIP and help drive the company towards a greater technical acumen and platform/product engineering mindset
- Own "The HOW" – How technology is implemented for our platforms
- Own the Public Cloud Strategy for workload placement and scaffolding
- Own and guide the Software and cloud Technology PADU for platforms
- Create the engineering strategy for Common Services
- Ownership of Health Care Platform definition and approach
- Provide leadership that enables building of world-class, Technology Engineering capabilities and delivery
- Set the strategy of Technology Engineering with an emphasis on automation, self-service, and end to end delivery of platforms and services using infrastructure as code, and agile delivery methodologies
- Build Delivery and Technology engineering capabilities that allow for: operational stability, performance, efficiency, audit/control management, and scalability of Platforms and Journeys – supporting needs today while also preparing for the long-term future
- Develop and promote Technology's Software Engineering Practices with enterprise-wide scope and consideration
- Accelerate the depth and breadth of engineering skills across all engineering practices
- Develop deep relationships with CIO organizations to ensure Practices proactively support application delivery priorities, performance, redundancy, and capacity requirements
- Provide thought leadership and use established global intelligence networks, to drive enterprise engineering approaches that ensure EAIP is at the forefront of technology engineering best practices and innovation
- Review current and emerging technical matters to identify product, customer, and full stack technology impacts
- Verify the integrity and availability of systems, platforms and applications
- Act as an internal evangelist for engineering & technology across the business and corporate function leaders
- Be a talent magnet for EAIP across the business, helping to elevate the quality of engineering
- Drive enterprise platform thinking across the Optum Tech Shared Services organization, and act as the “glue” across the different lines of business from the technology perspective
- Engage leadership within EAIP to drive transformation, innovation, and adoption of Technology Engineering best practices
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- 15 + years of engineering experience, most of which should be hands on keyboard building amazing software
- Effective at building mutually beneficial relationships with architects and engineers
- Some experience leading and/or managing people (though that is not the purpose of this position)
- 5 + years working in the public cloud building IAC solutions and frameworks
- Experience utilizing open source technology and solutions and contributing to open source projects
- Experience designing and evaluating both IAC and Application level security policies
- Experience building low latency (1,000/tps)
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Experience with Deep Learning AI models
- Experience building commercial software products
- Masters or PhD in computer science
- Hands on experience building developer experiences
- Startup experience
Technology Careers with Optum. Information and technology have amazing power to transform the health care industry and improve people's lives. This is where it's happening. This is where you'll help solve the problems that have never been solved. We're freeing information so it can be used safely and securely wherever it's needed. We're creating the very best ideas that can most easily be put into action to help our clients improve the quality of care and lower costs for millions. This is where the best and the brightest work together to make positive change a reality. This is the place to do your life's best work.SM
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $169,500 to $322,500. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, in addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.