Position is responsible for guarding and supervising inmates. They must monitor prisoner behavior and intervene as necessary following established regulations; periodically inspect the locks, windows, doors and gates of the facility; keep records of prisoner information, activities and incidents; process the entry of new prisoners; and inspect prisoners, visitors, and mail for contraband.
Examples of Duties
- Monitors conduct of prisoners, according to established policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Guards facility entrances in order to screen visitors and any person entering facility to ensure contraband and/or weapons are not brought into the jail facility.
- Inspects entire jail facility for weapons, valuables, drugs or any contraband brought into the facility.
- Escorts inmates to locations within or outside of facility according to proper regulations and procedures.
- Records information, such as prisoner identification, charges, and any incidences of disturbances or security breaches.
- Uses weapons, handcuffs, physical force according to regulations to maintain discipline and order among inmates.
- Observes and serves food trays given to inmates, counting items, utensils and trays for number and retrieval for proper accounting from cell block.
- Arranges schedules for prisoners including work assignments, visits and other appointments.
- Prepares inmates for release by inspecting all paperwork for accuracy; verification of identity, and final release of prisoner.
- This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.