For those who want to invent the future of health care, here's your opportunity. We're going beyond counseling services and verified referrals to behavioral health programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. Join us and help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
The essential functions of the EAP Management Consultant clinical position includes providing strategic management consultation and organizational support to all levels of a customer’s organizational structure and the clinical case management of employer-based referrals. The Management Consultant acts as an external champion who is recognized as a content expert in the areas of EAP, Behavioral Health, and Work / Life issues, providing consultation to key customer functions including Human Resources, Management / Supervisors, Occupational Health, Safety / Security, Unions and Legal. The Consultant responds to crisis calls and coordinates urgent, emergent care and Fitness for Duty evaluations ensuring public and workplace safety. The Management Consultant is a strategic partner for client customers around critical workplace issues involving behavioral disturbances, violations of company drug-free workplace policies, workplace violence and other risk issues impacting the individual employee, the workplace and / or the community / general public.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* within the Pacific Time Zone as you take on some tough challenges. California residency preferred.
- Collaborates, consults, and coaches client company HR, Occupational Health, and management leadership including senior executives, security and legal at all levels to address organizational, behavioral, and performance concerns, identify options and develop appropriate strategic action plans.
- Performs behavioral risk screenings for the organization and individual employee for a wide variety of workplace and individual behavioral issues impacting job performance Assures appropriate resources are engaged
- Facilitates Federally mandated and regulatory Drug-Free Workplace and other safety sensitive initiatives such as DOT, NRC, and Threats of Violence following pertinent regulatory and best practice guidelines
- Conducts in-depth telephonic clinical assessment and referral, assesses members for risk factors when appropriate to ensure member’s safety and intervenes appropriately on emergency calls while staying within the scope of EAP/MC services
- Provides telephonic solution focused psychoeducation/consultation to management referred employees
- Case manages referred employees using their clinical skills and judgment to identify underlying clinical issues that may be impacting workplace performance selecting providers with specific expertise to address the identified clinical concerns and / or determine the appropriate level of care
- Reviews initial clinical assessment with providers and relays workplace and job performance concerns and expectations involving job performance, mental health, chemical dependency, and other behavioral issues
- Certifies and authorizes / coordinates necessary treatment or EAP services. Discusses treatment plans with provider and negotiates changes as per Level of Care guidelines and EAP best practices
- Provides referrals to internal resources such as Work Life , Legal and Financial Services, as well as Community Resources as appropriate
- Provides support and licensed clinical consultation to EAP staff in responding to and managing calls from members involving clinical risk to self, others and / or general public
- Coordinates care with emergency, CIRS, care management team, and other managed health organizations as clinically appropriate
- Obtains supervision case consultation from supervisors on a regular basis regarding member care, high risk issues and protocols, policy and procedural changes and updates regarding existing, former, or new client groups
- Quotes and explains benefit coverage to members and to providers. Follows appropriate benefit eligibility procedures
- Follows internal ethical and regulatory privacy policies such as HIPPA, maintaining confidentiality and private health information of members. Follows state and federal licensing practices. Document necessary case information using same guidelines
- Uses UHG computer-based case management portals. Creates and maintains appropriate clinical records
- Participates in staff meetings, case conferences, and in-service opportunities
- Participates as directed in the Quality Assurance Program
- Engages in projects and other activities as directed by the Management Consultant Manager
- Demonstrates a willingness to support and grow both the culture and mission of Optum and the UnitedHealth Group
- Works cooperatively with MC team and other UHG departments
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Independent, unrestricted, licensed master’s level mental health professional or licensed Ph.D.
- 3+ years post-masters direct clinical experience in settings such as EAP, managed care, private or public clinics, with emphasis on mental health, chemical dependency, and workplace issues
- Training in EAP, workplace and organizational dynamics
- Must possess knowledge of behavioral risk factors and have ability to assess for a wide variety of workplace behavioral and performance issues
- MS Office Suite proficiency
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system), or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained.
- Work experience within an EAP / managed care corporate setting
- A willingness to model the culture and mission of Optum and UnitedHealth Group
- Fluency in accessing appropriate referral within or outside the company
- Familiarity with regulatory knowledge including Department of Transportation, Nuclear Regulatory Commission, and Department of Defense
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively among different levels of management and personnel
- Strong customer service orientation
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: EAP, CEAP, behavioral health, mental health, licensed clinician, counselor, LCSW, LICSW, LASW, LMFT, LP, LPC, LPCC, LCPC, LMHC, employee assistance, telecommute