At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
The BioProcess Research and Development (BRD) organization is responsible for developing and manufacturing large molecule drug substance in support of Lilly’s drug development pipeline. BRD Automation supports the BRD mission by developing automation solutions and providing process control engineering for the control of bioprocess systems from 5L benchtop to 5000L GMP production scale as well as process support systems.
The automation engineer provides technical expertise to implement, support and troubleshoot instrumentation solutions which enable development of large molecule processes and the production of GMP bulk API for clinical trial use. The automation engineer delivers engineering projects, can utilize first principles in the delivery of these solutions and recommends new technologies for the various unit operations utilized within the organization. The automation engineer is able to implement solutions utilizing established automation platforms (DeltaV, PLCs) as well as new/emerging technologies (IoT, wireless, cloud) to achieve results in a cost-effective manner.
This position is a role within the BRD engineering organization supporting laboratory, pilot plant and GMP manufacturing areas. The position will serve as an automation engineer supporting DeltaV distributed control systems specifically focused on instrumentation. In addition, this position also provides support for Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs).
Key Objectives / Deliverables
- Provide instrumentation technical support for Laboratory/Pilot Plant/GMP Manufacturing areas.
- Utilize understanding of process instrumentation to find, develop, and implement automation solutions driving productivity gains, safety improvements and quality improvements.
- Provide discipline leadership to local capital projects to ensure proper instrument selection, qualification, documentation and standardization. Review project design packages for proper design regarding reliability, application and maintenance requirements.
- Manage measurements and control equipment obsolescence.
- Own and maintain field wiring drawings and documentation.
- Design and implement automation related changes to advance department and corporate business goals.
- Complete documentation and testing activities to ensure that systems are maintained in the appropriate state of validation for use.
- Provide stewardship for the Asset Management System (AMS) application.
- Lead investigation of automation related deviations/process upsets.
- Automation design and delivery of new unit operations.
- Provide project management and technical leadership for projects.
- Provide project execution support and ensure that automation solutions are compliant to minimize regulatory risk to the business.
- Provide oversight of contractors assisting in the delivery of automation solutions.
- Maintain external focus and familiarity with emerging technologies.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering OR
- Associates in engineering technology with 5+ years of experience in a manufacturing environment.
Additional Skills/Preferences :
- Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology preferred
- Demonstrated experience with analog and discrete instrumentation, control devices, industrial networking and BUS communication (Foundation Fieldbus, DeviceNet).
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems, troubleshoot complicated process control systems, apply root cause failure techniques and make appropriate changes to avoid future reoccurrences
- Experience with Emerson DeltaV DCS and PLCs.
- Experience in industrial measurement and control hardware and industrial electrical systems (schematics, wiring, motors, drives, power monitoring, power distribution, relay logic).
- Ability to work well in a team environment incorporating a variety of functional relationships and desire to be a point of accountability.
- Demonstrated leadership skills that includes strong initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated initiative to build relationships, learn new business processes and identify opportunities.
- Experience working in GMP manufacturing environment with validated computer systems.
- Monday through Friday 8-hour days with flexibility to provide occasional off hours support.
- Tasks require entering manufacturing or laboratory areas which require wearing appropriate PPE.
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.