At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
The Global Facilities Delivery (GFD) Organization, part of Corporate Engineering and Continuous Improvement, delivers new and renovated capital assets around the world. Our mission is accomplished through a highly leveraged organization of design, construction and qualification contractors. Many of the assets delivered focus on medical innovation and delivering innovative solutions to patients. Some of the assets delivered will support an expansion in supply of existing medicines or making the supply chain more robust.
Key Objectives / Deliverables
- The DVL (Design Verification Lead) will assist in the development of standard operating procedures and best practices related to design/verification and ensure they remain current with industry best practices.
- The DVL will coordinate all design for the Project Manager during all design phases of the project and be responsible in delivering the conceptual design review and basic design review.
- The DVL will direct the development of the design requirements.
- The DVL will assist in development and maintenance of the design schedule to meet the project needs.
- The DVL will participate in the selection of the A/E firms.
- The DVL will coordinate with A/E firms to develop earned value progress systems to measure progress by discipline (monitor work versus invoice amounts).
- The DVL will expedite design decisions and coordinating information flow between the design team and system owners.
- The DVL is responsible for ensuring the design meets approved intent through interactions between the design firm, design specialists, engineering tech center disciplines, and end user/customer.
- The DVL is responsible for design activities and governance through the (both within Lilly and contractors) timely resolving issues.
- The DVL will examine areas of inefficiency and develop strategies for improvement to direct the design team to meet or improve on the design hours plan.
- The DVL will review and approve along with the respective Project Manager the key design project personnel (both internal and external resources).
- The DVL will work with Engineering Tech Center resources and other key project team technical/constructability resources to address and resolve design issues.
- The DVL ensures replication is achieved during design when applicable.
- The DVL will support the Project Manager for value engineering exercises efforts to maximize project opportunities.
- The DVL will lead in the identification of the applicable Engineering Design Standards, Engineering Functional Standards, Engineering Specifications and Regulatory requirements and guidance (both internal and external).
- The DVL is responsible for the overall design delivery.
- The DVL will review design-related invoices prior to approval and participate in KPI reviews/assessments.
- The DVL will participate in the selection of the verification professional services.
- The DVL will be accountable for the development of the Project Verification Plan, Traceability Matrix, and risk assessments (not necessary lead the execution).
- The DVL will coordinate verification for the Project Manager during the verification phase of the project.
- The DVL will be accountable for the discrepancy tracking and management in the Verification phase.
Basic Qualifications :
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Chemical or Mechanical) with strong background in manufacturing and engineering
- Minimum of 6 years manufacturing and/or engineering in support of pharmaceutical or API networks
Additional Information :
- Travel can be both domestic and international, on average about 25%, depending on the phase of the project.
- The potential of co-location at the A/E firm for short periods of time could occur based on project needs
Additional Skills/Preferences :
- Must have an understanding of the capital project delivery process, A/E design activities, and the understanding of the available Lilly technical resources (user reps, ETC resources, and design specialists).
- Must be able to concisely communicate complex options to a cross functional/multi-company team in order to gain consensus on design direction.
- The person will have an extensive network of peers in similar positions in the industry, both in the owner and the contractor communities.
- Detailed knowledge of systems and processes used by engineering contractors in the US market is essential, and a good understanding of how methods in other countries vary from this.
- This person would have demonstrated values that are consistent with the Lilly values.
- Must have excellent problem solving skills with the ability to envision and deliver innovative solutions.
- Demonstrated teamwork with their peers with successful interactions and leadership when working across functional groups.
- Must be able to frame complex decisions/analyses, facilitate to a decision, and implement according to the plan.
- Must have demonstrated good written and verbal communications skills.
- Must have project mgmt. experience – the ability to lead groups including internal and external resources.
- Must be willing and able to challenge others within and outside Lilly maintain scope definition.
- Must be able to work in an environment where
- limited or conflicting direction is given (such as project scope definition vs user requests).
- Must create creditability and be influential in getting agreement between site, corporate engineering, A/E firm decision-makers and stakeholders who have differing opinions.
- The capacity to achieve results through people is critical.
- Facilitate issue resolution, anticipate scope changes, and implement safely with quality, speed and value.
- Willingness to relocate and/or travel to locations outside of home state/country and have the demonstrated ability to work from long distances with little supervision.
- Must exhibit a good sense of judgment in decision making, without the need for management approval while at the same time keeping management informed and engaged on critical issues.
- In depth knowledge of, and experience in, the capital delivery process, Design and Verification process. Demonstrated value for a disciplined, structured approach to project delivery that is based on compliance with Policies and Procedures rather than an approach dependent on a personal style.
- Ability to influence personnel and organizations without having direct administrative responsibility for them.
- Working knowledge of automation testing and maintenance package development.
- Understanding of Financial Concepts and Estimating (e.g. NPV, COPs, Design and Verification Estimating Process, etc.).
- Demonstrated willingness to embrace the concept of continuous improvement and be an agent for change.
- Understanding of decision science concepts and can
- provide structure to decision making
- Familiarity with MS Sharepoint configurations (i.e. LillyNet sites)
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly USA, LLC and our wholly owned subsidiaries (collectively “Lilly”) are committed to help individuals with disabilities to participate in the workforce and ensure equal opportunity to compete for jobs. If you require an accommodation to submit a resume for positions at Lilly, please email Lilly Human Resources ( [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] ) for further assistance. Please note This email address is intended for use only to request an accommodation as part of the application process. Any other correspondence will not receive a response.
Lilly is an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status.