TMC Transportation is the nation's largest employee-owned, open deck transportation company. Founded in 1972, and headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa, TMC provides expert transportation services and supply-chain management solutions throughout the 48 contiguous states. If you're seeking a rewarding career at a dynamic company built on integrity, innovation and dedication to quality and customer service, then join us in our Destination of Excellence.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefit Package
- 401(k) Plan
- Employee Ownership - ESOP!
TMC Transportation has an immediate full-time opening for a Fleet Manager working out of our office in Brownsburg,IN .
The primary function for a Fleet Manager is to utilize coaching and leadership skills to manage approximately 35-40 drivers and achieve specific goals. These goals include meeting pick-up and delivery requirements, maximizing revenue, driver productivity, and other established company goals for retaining drivers and achieving an excellent safety record.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review driver check calls to determine driver location and estimated delivery times.
- Receive load assignments from Customer Service and review to ensure the appropriateness of such driver work assignments.
- Dispatch loads to the drivers (issue load information, loading instructions, directions, routing, and fuel information).
- Call customers to obtain directions information and schedule loading/delivery appointments, as necessary.
- Notify Customer Service Department of issues/changes that might impact customer expectations or affect load assignments.
- Promote safety throughout all areas of operations, including the dispatching of loads in accordance with the drivers hours of availability.
- Focus on driver retention by understanding driver requirements/preferences, by monitoring driver performance to ensure driver requirements are being met, and by keeping drivers informed and motivated.
- Identify, track, and resolve performance issues by conducting driver evaluations and driver route and hold meetings.
- Resolve driver conflicts, problems, and requests with respect to matters such as, hometime, pay, equipment, and load assignments.
- Ensure the awareness of and enforce company policies.
- Maintain records pertaining to driver performance and productivity.
- Participate as an active member in Quality/Kaizen teams and attend company meetings, as necessary.
- Four-year degree, preferably in Transportation and Logistics, and/or relevant experience in transportation or related field.
- Fluent in computer applications and keyboard proficiency.
- Ability to function in a fast-paced work environment and tolerate stress.
- Ability to plan and organize, attention to detail, problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including good listening skills.
- Possess courteous, yet assertive telephone personality.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical requirements and work environment described are representative of those present while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Must be able to sit and use telephone and computer, simultaneously, for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to speak and hear clearly in a high volume telephone environment.