We power the world’s most trusted automotive marketplaces through innovation, technology and people.
KAR Global (NYSE: KAR) provides sellers and buyers across the global wholesale used vehicle industry with innovative, technology-driven remarketing solutions. KAR Global’s unique end-to-end platform supports whole car, financing, logistics and other ancillary and related services, including the sale of nearly 3.8 million units valued at approximately $40 billion through our auctions in 2019. Our integrated physical, online and mobile marketplaces reduce risk, improve transparency and streamline transactions for customers in more than 80 countries.
Headquartered in Carmel, Indiana, KAR Global has more than 10,000 employees across the United States, Canada, Mexico, the United Kingdom and Europe.
Reporting to the Director of Training and Development, the Instructional Design Manager is responsible for the management and oversight of the KAR Global instructional design, technical writing and media production team. Responsibilities include project intake and management for the team, as well as design, development, and maintenance, of training deliverables. The Instructional Design manager should be expert in adult learning delivery methods and effective design including microlearning courses, infographics, VILT, ILT, eLearning, user guides, tutorials, and other training as needed.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Manage team workload and project bandwidth to meet business needs in a timely and efficient manner.
- Manage direct reports day-to-day and lead the instructional designer team through professional guidance, feedback, and development opportunities.
- Analyze employee learning needs and collaborate with business subject matter experts and learners to assess, design and develop standard learning solutions to support successful execution of training.
- Conduct needs analysis interviews with client stakeholders on customization of new instructional design projects.
- Plan, design, research, write, and edit instructional materials including user guides and manuals, online help and documentation guides, tutorials, storyboards, scripts, course content (including simulations, role play activities, case studies, and experiential activities) pre-and post-tests, and student and facilitator directions for blended learning solutions.
- Design and develop engaging, informative, and visually compelling eLearning modules and teaching aids such as training handbooks, demonstration models, multimedia visual aids, and reference works.
- Apply a blended approach to training and curriculum development that incorporates adult learning principles as well as microlearning with effective use of available resources.
- Identify detailed learning objectives for each course based on business drivers and performance goals; map course content and learning activities to appropriate learning objectives.
- Analyze complex content source information to design and develop instructional content consisting of screen text, graphics, animations, simulations, etc.
- Edit existing written documentation as needed to create unified and consistent support documents.
- Create certification content and processes that comply with industry educational requirements.
- Practice and promote teamwork at all times. Set a good personal example of attitude and performance.
Educational Requirements & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Instructional Design/Technology, Technical Writing or related field, or equivalent experience required.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience as an instructional designer. 2+ years as a people manager.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Working knowledge of at least one elearning development tool such as Articulate, Camtasia, or Captivate.
- Expert in information gathering, planning, and organizing methods and principles; strong understanding of document structuring, content communications, and presentation techniques; experience in creating documentation from oral and written communications, along with experience in the training field required.
- Strong knowledge of current and emerging adult learning theory and how it is put into practice in corporate learning required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong organizational skills; and experience with MS Office suite.