Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals, and branded generic medicines. Our 109,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
We are looking for a Lead Manufacturing Process Engineer to join the sustaining team at our Westfield, Indiana site. This is an exciting opportunity to work on the 1st in class MitraClip device, a minimally invasive device used to help the Mitral Valve function properly and dramatically improve the lives of patients with Mitral Valve Regurgitation.
Primary Job Function
Provides support to the Manufacturing organization to facilitate efficient operations within the production area, to optimize existing processes, and to ensure that production goals are met. Monitors performance of equipment, machines and tools and corrects equipment problems or process parameters that produce nonconforming products, low yields or product quality issues. Interfaces with Quality and Research and Development organizations to integrate new products or processes into the existing manufacturing area.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Initiates and completes technical activities leading to new or improved products or process, for current programs, next generation programs and to meet strategic goals and objectives of the company.
- Prepares reports, publishes, and makes presentations to communicate findings.
- Analyzes and solves problems from basic engineering principles, theories and concepts through to a wide range of complex and advanced problems which require novel and new innovative approaches or a major breakthrough in technology.
- Understands engineering principles theories, concepts, practices and techniques.
- Develops knowledge in a field to become a recognized leader or authority in an area of specialization and applies this knowledge in leadership roles in the company.
- Incorporates business policies and procedures into task completion.
- Understands the business needs of the company, and has knowledge of the customer needs of our business.
- Understands the business cycle and foresight of emerging technologies trends.
- Cultivates internal and external network of resources to complete tasks.
- Serves has a resource in the selection orientation and training of new engineers and employees.
- May lead a project team, determining goals and objectives for the projects.
- Mentors employees by sharing technical expertise and providing feedback and guidance.
- Interacts cross functionally and with internal and external customers.
- Serves as a consultant for engineering or scientific interpretations and advice on significant matters.
- Acts as a spokesperson to customers on business unit current and future capabilities.
- Works under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions. Work is reviewed upon completion for adequacy in meeting objectives.
- May provide work direction and guidance to exempt and/or skilled nonexempt levels of employees; may be asked to evaluate performance of and assist in career development planning for subordinates.
Position Accountability / Scope
- Establishes and cultivates an extensive network of support to facilitate completion of assignments.
- Participates in the development of less experienced staff by setting an example, providing guidance and work direction, and offering counsel.
- May lead a project team.
- Participates in determining goals and objectives for projects.
- Influences middle management on technical or business solutions.
- May interact with vendors.
- Plans and organizes non-routine tasks w/approval.
- Initiates or maintains work schedule. Establishes priorities of work assignments.
- Exercises judgment in selecting innovative, practical methods to achieve problem resolution. Failure to obtain results or erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in serious program delays and considerable expenditure of resources.
- Demonstrated expertise in Six Sigma and Lean. Examples include green/black belt or applicable projects that utilized the concepts and tools.
- Knowledge in medical device manufacturing.
- Process development experience in manufacturing.
- Experience with process improvements and manufacturing changes.
- Bachelor's degree plus 6+ years of related work experience with a strong understanding of specified functional area, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Advanced degree preferred.
Minimum Experience / Training Required
- Wide application of technical principles, practices, and procedures.
- Strong understanding of business unit function and cross group dependencies/relationships.
- Will perform this job in a quality system environment. Failure to adequately perform tasks can result in noncompliance with governmental regulations.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Has a sound knowledge of various technical alternatives and their impact.
- May consider at lower level depending on experience.