We are looking for a National Automation Engineering Manager to join our team!
Working closely with Operations , Solutions Engineers, Industrial Engineers and the Snr Process Design Eng the National Automation Eng Manager will be responsible for the design, development and operational success of the automation portfolio within Contact Logistics for the USA and NAM Region. Working closely with key systems integrators on the design, development and deployment of automated logistics solutions including but not exclusive, Autostore, ASRS solutions , other Goods to Person solutions, enhanced picking solutions, AGVs, VGV’s , ARMs, conveyor systems , robotic picking solutions and other new innovations and technologies. Developing solutions with business development teams amd customers to meet the increasing demands for automated solutions in the 3PL / logistics industry. Management of the relationships and contracts with systems integrators and solution providers. Technical support on site for the commissioning and optimization of existing and new automated systems.
• Working with Solutions Engineering teams to design and develop in partnership with K+N’s suppliers and systems integrators new automated solutions to meet the increasing needs for automation across the K+N Contract Logistics (CL) USA + NAM network
• Working closely with Implementation Project Managers and suppliers the development and delivery of new automated solutions
• Understanding customers needs and being able to translate the need into an automation requirements document.
• Optimization of existing automation within our operations to ensure automated output is maximised to meet the needs of the business
• Working with systems integrators to optimize hardware and software solutions to deliver expected and quoted productivity targets
• Commissioning of new equipment and solutions including arranging and managing production trials and testing to ensure solution readiness.
• On site hyper care support for go lives and implementations of new and upgraded processes
• Development of layouts and flows of warehouses with automation , working closely with Solutions Engineers and Project managers to deliver the end to end logistics concept.
• Trouble shooting with IS Teams, Engineering Teams and suppliers for on site problem solving with automation
• Training local maintenance and Ops teams in the key points of automation management
• Development of all Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions connected to new automation and any changes to existing solutions.
• Working with local training managers to ensure Operations teams are educated to the correct level for running day to day with the on site automation.
• Setting up with IS teams the correct levels of KPI’s from the automation to ensure Operational cadence can be maintained
• Reporting to management on automation deployment across the portfolio
Your Skills and Experiences
• Educated to Masters degree standard in an Engineering discipline or can demonstrate a minimum of 8 years practical application experience within automation environaments
• Experience of working in highly automated environments with hands on experience of optimisation of automated solutions
• Experience in designing and developing automated solutions for either logistics, manufacturing or airport baggage handling systems.
• Can demonstrate experience of managing the implementation and commissioning of new automated systems
• Knowledge of control systems and the interfacing of these to either Warehouse management systems or other systems such as production control systems or airport control systems.
• Development of layouts and ensuring that automation smoothly integrates with non automated processes.
• Hands on working knowledge of automation control systems
• Experienced project management skills in deploying automation
• Strong focus on innovation and new technologies and the ability to understand and demonstrate the ability to implement into either new or existing supply chains
• Demonstrates the ability to design processes and automated solutions with lean thinking
• Can manage contactors where necessary to ensure specific tasks / implementations are completed
• Experience of management of supplier automation contracts and support
• Certified Lean Six Sigma Black Belt or relevant Lean Six Sigma experience (Min 4 years)
• CAD – can design and optimise process layout and designs with support from CAD designers
• Can show the ability to turn ideas into reality with teams and ensure alignement across cross functional teams and processes.
• Willing to travel up to 75%
Preferred but not essential:
• Contract logistics experience either significant Operations or Engineering background
• Experience of dealing with Warehouse management systems (JDA, Manhattan, SAP), WCS and ERP solutions from Engineering perspective
• Lean Six Sigma Green or Black Belt
• Operations experience as an Operations leader
Leadership and Behaviours :
• Experience in developing new processes and can turn a vision and idea into reality
• Is focussed on innovation an new technologies and can apply these into chains across new and existing operations.
• Demonstrates a passion for continuous improvement and the ability to energise and inspire others
• Excellent communication and inter personal skills
• Proven leader (of non direct reports) and experienced Engineer
• Self starter with ability to work on own initiative without much direction
• Negotiation skills
• Be able to work well in a fast-paced environment and under stress
• Show leadership and motivational capabilities and the ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams
• Automation experience minimum 8 years
• Manufacturing engineering experience or equivalent preferred
• High technical focus
• Negotiation skills
• Focussed on innovation and technology
• Knowledge of WMS solutions and how they integrate with the physical process
• Experience in the delivery of lean six sigma and continuous improvement programmes
• Can demonstrate a rounded business acumen including P & L management and budgeting
• Advanced skills in MS office tools including Excel, Word, Powerpoint, MS project and MS Visio
• An advanced level Minitab user version 14 or above
• CAD Drawing software experience
• Ability to work with both shop floor and management and be able to communicate effectively at both levels
• Willingness to travel within country
• English written and oral skills
• Spanish preferred
• Travel up to 75%
Good Reasons to Join
We offer competitive compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, employee discounts, tuition reimbursement, excellent training programs and a highly dynamic global work environment.