Looking for a chance to drive measurable and meaningful improvement in the use of evidence-based medicine, patient safety, practice variation and affordability? You can make a difference at UnitedHealth Group and our family of businesses in serving our Medicare, Medicaid and commercial members and plan sponsors. Be part of changing the way health care is delivered while working with a Fortune 6 industry leader.
The Pain Management Medical Director is responsible, in part, as a member of a team of medical directors, for the overall quality, effectiveness and coordination of the medical review services provided through OrthoNet/Optum. The Medical Director performs Utilization Management reviews and participates in the Quality Improvement programs for the company. The Medical Director will also participate in the monitoring of patient care progress, treating physician medical decision making in the context of utilization management and perform provider appeals. The Medical Director may serve as a liaison between OrthoNet, physicians, and other medical service providers in selected situations.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges
- Performs utilization management reviews for various types of pain management procedures and related services
- Works with OrthoNet clinical staff to coordinate all the necessary UM processes Participation in Training regarding URAC, NCQA, Regulatory Compliance, Confidentiality, Conflict of Interest, HIPAA, and department specific training as applicable
- Discusses cases and clinical situations with treating providers telephonically during scheduled hours
- Participates in periodic clinical conferences / calls and in ongoing internal performance consistency reviews
- Composes, if needed, patient situation specific, clinical summaries and rationales for medical necessity decisions
- Is available for occasional, periodic weekend and holiday as needed telephonic and remote computer expedited clinical decisions
- Ability to assist in marketing presentations to clients and ongoing relationship management activities with existing clients if requested to do so
- Provide Clinical support for staff that conduct initial reviews
- Good understanding of professional performance measurement and related possible discussions/interventions with selected providers/groups/organizations
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Current, active and fully unrestricted Medical license
- Board certification in Pain Management
- 5+ years clinical experience in Pain Management post residency
- Proficient with MS Office (MS Word, Email, Excel, and Power Point)
- Excellent computer skills and ability to learn new systems and software
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work over the telephone with other colleagues including physicians, nurses, PTs, OTs and other similar personnel
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders.
- ABMS or other nationally recognized further specialized certifications
- Experience in managed care UM activities
- Must possess leadership skills in working with other physicians, knowledge of the overall medical community and the local / regional managed care environments
- Experience with integration of clinical and financial data, development of utilization and performance reporting tools, and communication of performance data to physicians and other health care providers
Transforming health care and millions of lives starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring. Find out more and join us. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Careers with Optum. Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.SM
Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. As of the date of this posting, In addition to your salary, UHG offers the following benefits for this position, subject to applicable eligibility requirements: Health, dental, and vision plans; wellness program; flexible spending accounts; paid parking or public transportation costs; 401(k) retirement plan; employee stock purchase plan; life insurance, short-term disability insurance, and long-term disability insurance; business travel accident insurance; Employee Assistance Program; PTO; and employee-paid critical illness and accident insurance.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Pain Management, Medical Director, Telecommute, Physician, Work from Home, Utilization, Reviewer