Facility: OrthoIndy Northwest, Indianapolis, IN
Department: Clinic Services
Shift Details:36-40 hours per week with flexibility to work some evenings and weekends
At OrthoIndy everything we do is about creating a caring, connected and committed workforce that directly improves the quality of life for our employees and customers.
Be a part of something great!
General Statement of Duties
The Patient Access Clerk will pre-register and register patients scheduled for services at OrthoIndy for clinic visits, occupational or physical therapy,
surgery, imaging, or injections. This position schedules patient return visits, tests, injections, etc. at the appropriate facility and coordinates services
among the patients, physician offices, insurance carriers, and service departments ensuring insurance requirements, physician referral and clinical
documentation are complete.
- Check-in: Responsible for checking in patients. Inputs patient demographic information into EHR and patient portal. Scans patient's insurance card at every visit. Emails correct department to add insurance into front office and adds a new primary care Physician or referring source in EHR. Reviews schedules in advance to know what patient's need when arriving for their appointment. Calls for referrals as needed and checks MCD eligibility for all self-pay or MCD patients prior to and day of appointment. Runs schedules for next business day to check for add-ons and schedule accuracy/completeness.
- Check-out: Checks out patients in EHR and makes sure patient status is complete. Schedules patients for follow-up visits and test procedures as necessary and in a timely manner.
- Test Scheduling: Communicates time, date, and location of OI tests, any special requirements prior to test procedures, and answers any test or procedure related questions. Annotates test information and collects stent/implant information for MRIs. Schedules follow-up appointment. Ensures patients not scheduling at OI are moved to appropriate worklist/queue for contact, precertification and scheduling.
- Communicates with patients, Physicians, outside vendors, and fellow employees. Including assisting with patients who are going to be late, looking for other doctors, looking for disability paperwork, or adding-on clinic appointments. Responsible for calling Physicians to see if a late patient can be seen, disability to see if forms are ready, HIM to see if records are ready, and other individuals/departments as needed.
- Assists patients with kiosks or tablets. Offers to complete patient information using proxy mode, as time allows.
- Responsible for tracking patient fails, communication fails, and any incidents in incident reporting software and to any appropriate parties, including manager, director, or security.
- Works with patients who have a balance in making a payment or giving them billings information. Responsible for taking co-pays and payments, making sure to post the correct account and making patients accurate receipts.
- Responsible for end of day reconciliation. Secures and counts drawers and cash bags. Reconciles and balances monies. Assists with bank deposits and making change.
- Covers other employees in the Clinic Services Department as needed, including changing office, stations, or assignments.
- Assists with a variety of other duties, including but not limited to; helping patients with wheelchairs or other restrictions as needed, cleaning and maintaining the appearance of various clinic areas, maintaining stock of all patient forms, confirming all patients are checked out of EHR at the end of the day, delivering all received paperwork to appropriate person or department, and that labs are ready in lock box for courier pick-up.
- High School Diploma/GED required
- Specialty Training Beyond High School preferred
- 1-2 years of patient registration experience preferred
OrthoIndy is an Equal Opportunity Employer