Facility: OrthoIndy Northwest, Indianapolis IN
Department: Support Services, Telecom
Shift Details: Days, Full Time, Mon-Fri 8-5p
At OrthoIndy everything we do is about creating a caring, connected and committed workforce that directly improves the quality of life for our employees and customers.
Be a part of something great!
General Statement of Duties:
The Patient Service Coordinator serves as the main point of contact for assigned Physicians. The Coordinator establishes a patient friendly system to
facilitate communication between patients and OrthoIndy. Primary areas of focus include inbound and outbound appointment scheduling, triage of
patient questions, insurance verification and authorization, surgery scheduling, and daily problem solving to ensure patients expectations and needs are
This is a telephonic position. There is no direct, or face to face, contact with patients.
- Serves as a main point of contact for assigned Physicians and private employees, OrthoIndy Hospital facility scheduling, and outside facilities when scheduling surgery. Maintains rapport with Physicians, privates, and co-workers, ensuring satisfaction. Handles patient phone calls, tasking and messages in the OrthoIndy electronic medical record on various queue lines. Schedules clinic appointments, and obtains insurance authorizations. Schedules and completes insurance precertification for all procedures for assigned providers. Organizes appropriate coordination with other hospital departments when special surgical needs occur.
- Maintains clinic schedules for assigned Physicians. Schedules all patient appointments for assigned Physicians and reschedules when necessary,
following Physician scheduling protocols. Organizes add-ons and cancelled clinic appointments. Communicates with Clinic Manager to ensure coordination of clinic space and staffing. Blocks Physician template for meetings, vacations, and rescheduled patients as needed due to schedule changes. Maintains clinic schedules in Moxee. Monitors and audits Physician schedules and make corrections as needed. Communicates with providers to identify opportunities to maximize schedule productivity. Ensures appointment note lines include detailed information about previous treatment, including; MRI, labs, or Physical Therapy to ensure HIM obtains the medical records before the office visit. Manages and monitors new patient forms via email to ensure completion before office visits. Responsible for appointment recall management per established protocol. Completes fax referrals and appointment request to ensure timely scheduling.
- Patient Triage - Performs general telephone triage of patient medical problems regarding pain, medication effectiveness, surgery site problems and provide reassurance. Responsible for gathering complete and appropriate medical information to assist the medical staff. Ensures proper information gathering to eliminate unnecessary return calls on the part of the medical staff. Responds to patient messages promptly by gathering information for providers and answering voice messages. Pages or calls providers regarding more urgent patient problems. Follows prescription refill policy to ensure organized and coordinated care for each patient. Verifies pharmacy information in Allscripts and prescription orders with pharmacist if question or concern develops with e-prescription. Completes prior authorization requests for medications. Calls patients in order to communicate treatment changes.
- Responds to calls, emails, complaints, and queries that patients might have about surgery scheduling process. Provides information and updates in regards to patient surgery schedules. Schedules post-surgical appointments with surgeons, Physical Therapy department, or private staff during the surgery scheduling process to ensure coordination of care. Coordinates and prepares the patient for surgery, including; any necessary preoperative medical clearances, educational sessions, blood donations, equipment, benefits and precertification. Reviews all needed medical records and history from patients to endure PAT trigger questions are answered appropriately. Takes reservations for surgeries and schedules a date based on the availability of the surgeon and the medical condition of patients. Responsible for communicating time, date, and location of surgery to the patient and patient representative. Informs patient and any involved third party about "things to do" before and after surgeries. Follows surgeon instructions to coordinate special equipment needs for each patient.
- Obtains CPT and Diagnosis codes from physician when missing or incomplete. Pre-operatively notifies ordering surgeon if insurance authorization does not include all CPT codes submitted. Takes appropriate steps to verify ordering surgeon received the notification.
- Supplies self-pay patients with written or verbal estimates of surgical codes and feeds upon request. Instructs self-pay patients on surgery estimates and pre-payment protocol.
- Supports departmental and corporate strategic plans and ensure successful implementation. Supports company and department quality assurance initiatives and goals.
- Responsible for backing up other employees, which may include changing stations or assignments.
- High School Diploma/GED required
- Specialty training beyond high school required; I.e. Medical office certification and/or some college
- 2-4 years of related experience required; 4-6 years preferred
- 1 year of experience of OrthoIndy experience preferred with specialty training
OrthoIndy is an Equal Opportunity Employer