Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that's improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There's no room for error. Join us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
The Advanced Analytics team within OptumRx’s Digital Analytics and Intelligence uses sophisticated algorithms and techniques to resolve some of the hardest problems to improve our customers digital experiences. The team uses a blend of scientific, problem solving, and quantitative skills to develop and deliver groundbreaking methods addressing critical problems in our digital environment. The Advanced Analytics team collaborates across product, design, engineer and IT team through data science, machine learning and AI.
Do you want to be part of a growing data science and data engineering team that is helping to shape the digital experiences for millions of customers? As a Principal Data Scientist, you will work cross-functionally with data scientists, engineers, analysts, and product managers to design, develop and deploy state-of-the-art machine learning models that deliver world-class personalized and unique experiences for millions of our customers, including web portals and apps. You will build machine learning and AI based experimentation, optimization, recommendation, and personalization capabilities that make our products engaging to our customers. You will glean actionable insights from Optum’s vast trove of data, translate business problems into predictive models and evolve the core personalization recommendation system. You drive best practices and set standards for experiments and optimization. You are a key influencer in experiment strategy.
This is a unique, high visibility opportunity for someone who wants to have business impact, dive deep into large scale machine learning, reinforcement learning, enable measurable actions and work closely with product and engineering teams. This position will report directly to the Director of Data Science.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
Purpose of Position:
- Design and implement state-of-the art machine learning algorithms and systems to personalize and optimize the entire experience for our members to support OptumRx Digital MBO's
- Partner with product, design, engineer and IT teams to design, develop and deploy machine learning solutions in production
- Derive actionable insights from best-in-class tools and technologies (Python, Spark, SQL, Databricks, Azure, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, TensorFlow etc.)
- Key member of cross-functional capability teams delivering predictive models, recommender systems, online and offline experiments and product experience optimization
- Design, develop, deploy and improve production-grade scalable recommender systems, machine learning and statistical predictive models in a big data environment that drive Optum’s digital personalized experiences across web portals and apps. This encompasses predictions, recommendations as well as UX optimization
- Build end-to-end advanced machine learning and reinforcement learning models. e.g. XGBoost / Light GBM, neural networks (auto-encoders, feedforward networks, RNNs/CNNs, etc.), bandit / Bayesian algorithms, Thompson sampling, UCB, TD learning, Q-learning, Monte Carlo simulation, collaborative filtering, recommendation algorithms and more
- Carry out A/B test experiments, rigorous offline and online experimentation, and understand basics of causal inference
- Lead by example: promote deep scientific expertise, constant learning, attention to detail, and best practices while always being friendly, humble, and open to challenging any assumptions
- Collaborate with data engineers, product managers and capability teams to coordinate timely deployments from conception to release
- Champion and define best practices to maximize learnings while mentoring junior data scientists and data engineers to grow their skills, create a collaborative environment, and employ tools and methodologies to test, revise and improve models
- Research new machine learning solutions to complex business problems
- Manage internal engagements, meeting project and deliverable timelines, ensuring the accurate and timely completion of deliverables and communication findings to non-technical audience and senior leadership
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in statistics, applied mathematics, machine learning, data science, engineering, computer science or related discipline
- 3+ years of relevant experience developing and delivering effective machine learning and/or statistical models, experiments, and recommender systems to drive product development
- 1+ years of experience with at least one of the following algorithms: bandits, Thompson sampling, deep learning, reinforcement learning, recommendation systems, and/or causal inference
- Experience collaborating effectively with cross-functional teams such as leadership, product management, and engineering with willingness to inspire other data scientists
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or a similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. Employees must comply with any state and local masking orders. In addition, when in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are expected to wear a mask in areas where physical distancing cannot be attained
- Experience with experimental design, testing, and analyzing, e.g. A/B testing, multivariate testing, online and offline experiments, exploration and bandits
- Deep knowledge of probability, statistics and machine learning algorithms and be able to determine when to apply them
- Solid technical and programming skills in Python and SQL. Familiarity with big data platforms (like Spark, Databricks), machine learning frameworks (like TensorFlow, Keras, MXNet or PyTorch) and libraries (like scikit-learn, numpy, pandas, and scikit-learn) with ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Experience with real-time optimization models with delayed reward (multi-armed bandits, reinforcement learning)
- Experience developing recommender systems for personalized experience or similar
- Experience developing models for production quality machine learning solutions at scale
- Experience with natural language processing
- Knowledge of Azure, or similar cloud platforms
- Experience presenting to both technical and non-technical audiences and a history of publications or presentations at conferences
- Solid communication skills - ability to succinctly communicate results and tell compelling stories with data to any audience (e.g. presenting findings and deep dives to senior leadership)
Careers with OptumRx. We're one of the largest and most innovative pharmacy benefits managers in the US, serving more than 12 million people nationwide. Here you'll fill far more than prescriptions. As a member of one of our pharmacy teams, you're empowered to be your best and do whatever it takes to help each customer. You'll find unrivaled support and training as well as a wealth of growth and development opportunities driven by your performance and limited only by your imagination. Join us. There's no better place to help people live healthier lives while doing your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter policy.
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Principal Data Scientist, Lead Data Scientist, Data Scientist, Machine Learning, Recommender Systems, Bandit, bandit, Bayesian algorithms, Thompson Sampling, Algorithms, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Recommendation systems, TensorFlow, Spark, Telecommute, Remote, Work from Home