The Institutional Advisor (Advisor) develops investment management and fiduciary relationships with non-profit, public, corporate and government clients. The Advisor collaborates with local Key Private Bank (KPB) Markets and Banking Partners to identify prospective Institutional Clients through education and positioning of Institutional Team capabilities to generate awareness, deliver solutions and drive new revenue. The Advisor will also manage a modest book of clients as a means of staying close to the operational and technical aspects of serving this client population. As part of a team serving institutional clients, the Advisor delivers a proactive client experience through the development of internal and external relationships that deliver appropriate advice. The Advisor is responsible for the delivery of exceptional sales and retention results.
- Responsible for the development and closure of the most complex and sophisticated client opportunities
- Identifies prospective Institutional Advisors clients or referral sources by educating and positioning Institutional Advisors capabilities to meet client needs, develop solutions and drive new revenue
- An active member of the Institutional Advisors Team participating in the development of sales strategy, client experience, product development and other aspects of leading a successful business
- Coordinates the successful completion of the Request for Proposal (RFP) process (from preparation of the response, interaction with the prospect and all phases of presentation) in partnership with KPB Field and other banking partners
- Maintains an in-depth knowledge of products and services as well as proactively acquires knowledge of competitors and competitive products to support the awareness of IA team
- Fosters a sense of partnership with KPB, Banking Teams, and Center of Influences (COIs) in assigned region to create an environment for learning/best practice sharing and accountability; drives the performance and sustained success of the KPB sales team
- Serves as the primary point of contact for all external sales opportunities
- Masters an effective first contact strategy and phone approach
- Understands what differentiates Institutional Advisor (IA) and develops a unique sales approach that differentiates Key from the rest of the marketplace
- Effectively understands and prospects within the most productive market niches
- Effectively masters the ability to ask questions and qualify prospects early in the sales process
Pipeline and Opportunity Management
- Meets or exceeds monthly success metrics and keeps a robust and monitored pipeline that is reviewed regularly with the Sales and Market Managers
- Partners with the Relationship Manager (RM) on all sales opportunities, including the closing of the deal
- Fully understands and executes the level of activity necessary to achieve sales goals
- Teams with KPB Wealth Advisors and RM(s) to uncover opportunities in existing books of business
- Teams with KPB Fields Teams to engage Field Banking Partners
- Generates leads by utilizing all resources including Salesforce, community networks, COIs, Lines of Business, product partners, etc.
- Utilizes letters, articles, voicemail, seminars and events to sell our services internally and externally
Maximize the Sales Call Opportunity
- Follows disciplined pre-call preparation
- Becomes proficient at uncovering what will motivate a prospect to purchase our services
- Masterful at asking questions to uncover time, budget and resource issues
- Excellent at gaining commitment by the decision makers
- Executes disciplined post-call debrief process, effective follow up and pipeline management
Present to Close
- Fully understands strengths and weaknesses of clients’ current provider and their decision-making process
- Executes on appropriate signed documents and develops client relationship team and process
- Sets initial strategy, introduces all new clients to Relationship Managers and set expectations for onboarding and servicing by the IA team.
- Collaborates and performs as part of the relationship management team to assure that the team sales goals are met by executing the client strategy.
Exceed Client Expectations
- Provides ongoing contact with new clients to enhance client’s initial experience with Key
- Fully develops relationships to uncover additional services to be provided
- Regularly asks satisfied clients for introductions to others they know who may need our services
- Participate in KeyCorp’s commitment to the community
- This position is responsible for either meeting or exceeding assigned individual and team sales goals which can include expanding existing client business, referrals and or new business growth.
- Bachelor's degree in business related field (accounting, finance, economics, or related field) or equivalent business experience
- Minimum 5 years Institutional Banking, Investment Management/Consulting, or Trust experience as well as progressively responsible and successful sales management experience. Additional banking experience in operations/client services or other LOB areas to gain broader understanding of organizational structure and workflow is preferred
- Must have demonstrated ability to balance focus on sales and exceptional client service
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and deliver results in a matrixed organization
- Familiarity and knowledge of technology systems
Sr. Institutional Advisor
- Demonstrated ability to consistently and effectively balance focus on sales and exceptional client advice delivery
- Demonstrated ability to exceed performance objectives in effectively managing and delivering results in a matrixed organization
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of technology systems
KeyCorp is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer committed to engaging a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.