Amcor Rigid Packaging
Senior Manager, Inventory and Cost Accounting
This role is part of the Amcor Rigid Packaging Accounting Shared Services leadership team and reports to the VP of Finance and Controller. The role is responsible for managing all aspects of inventory accounting, including managing complex raw material (resin) pass through arrangements with customers, resin accounting including Material Price Variance (MPV)/ FIFO, resin inventory and payables valuation, overhead costing, inventory policy and internal controls as well as supporting the business by analyzing inventory costs and trends, working with procurement and business groups on forecasts and analytics, and preparing working capital/cash flow forecasts. The role requires the successful candidate to manage multiple conflicting demands and to work effectively with a variety of stake holders.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- Lead ARP NA shared service inventory function supporting two separate North America Business Units (Beverage Division and Specialty Containers) and more than 25 plants
- Act as a change agent within ARP finance community identifying and driving best practices, promoting the implementation of new requirements and driving process improvements
- Provide sound financial and economic advice to key stakeholders on inventory related matters
- Manage resin accounting by providing guidance and leadership in the areas of MPV/FIFO calculation, resin inventory and payables valuation
- Manage process for maintaining, reviewing and analyzing overhead costs in ending inventory
- Lead inventory and resin accounts payable forecasting process, including impacts of resin purchases and sales on working capital and cash flow
- Work with Commercial Finance teams on new (or revised) resin pricing; ensure prices are implemented correctly and timely in accordance with contracted resin market price movements
- Collaborate with Procurement and Business Finance providing timely and detailed analysis related to impact of resin prices on company profitability and quantifying resin related savings.
- Support and account for raw material derivatives; coordinate with Commercial Finance teams and local procurement team (along with corporate procurement team in Zurich, Switzerland)
- Manage, review and update cost standards for resin and other materials on annual basis
- Research resin market trends and communicate key pricing changes or market movements to ARP Finance and Commercial leadership teams
- Oversee resin MPV monthly forecasting and yearly budgeting process; provide detailed analysis/bridges and commentary covering year-over-year and operating plan variances
- Partner with procurement teams on sourcing initiatives and ensure data integrity of profitability and financial modeling
- Manage special projects and drive process improvement initiatives, as needed
- Other tasks, ad-hoc financial analysis and special projects as they arise
- Lead M&A integration activities as needed, including system implementations, for the above areas and work with a cross-functional team
Compliance Process / Coordination:
- Establish, monitor, and enforce internal controls and ensure compliance with policies and procedures
- Ensure transactions correctly reflect the legal / tax structure of our various domestic and international subsidiaries
- Support internal and external audits and activities related to Amcor’s quarterly reporting periods and statutory close requirements
- Review and approve journal entries and account reconciliations, ensure month end reporting activities are performed timely and accurately
- Work with Group Treasury in identifying and managing FX risk in the respective areas.
Team Leadership & Talent Development:
- Lead, manage and develop a team of three accounting professionals
- Attract, retain, engage, motivate and develop bench strength within the team to enable internal promotion and transfer as opportunities arise
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required. Master’s degree in Accounting / Finance is preferred as well as CPA or CMA designation.
- 10-15+ years of increased responsibility within inventory / cost accounting in a large, complex, multi-location manufacturer (preference given to candidates with US Public Company experience)
- Strong general accounting skills, including a thorough understanding of US GAAP inventory rules and requirements
- Strong systems aptitude with preference given to candidates with SAP ERP. SAP BPC and SAP Business Objects experience
- Good business understanding of the commodity markets, preferably the petro-chemical value chain.
- Strong Microsoft office skills (especially MS Excel) required.
- Understands financial statement relationships between balance sheet, income and cash flow statements; demonstrated experience developing / modeling financial statements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; capable of clearly articulating thoughts
- Unrelenting integrity and ethics
- Professional with strong overall business acumen
- Effective team player who interacts well with others
- Ability to multi-task, meet strict deadlines and work under pressure
- Occasional travel (less than 5%)
Amcor Leadership Framework Competencies
3-5 Applicable ALF Competencies:
- Drive for Results
- Customer Focus
- Learning on the fly
- Organizational awareness
- Managerial courage
- Reports to VP Finance and Controller
- Manage a team of accounting professionals
- Partners with the following internal customers/ other colleagues
- Business Unit FP&A, Commercial Finance and Commercial teams
- Procurement and Supply Chain teams
- Director, Accounting and Reporting
- Sr. Manager, Transaction Accounting
- Sr. Manager, Internal Controls and Compliance
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties, responsibilities, skills and/or abilities.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.