INTERNAL APPLICATION DEADLINE 6/2/21
Western Governors University is the nation’s largest university with over 129,000 students. We believe in the transformative power of education and our vision is to be the most innovative, student-centric university. The software that we write is our secret sauce and enables competency-based education at a scale that’s never before been seen.
As EdTech employees, we believe in WGU’s mission and see how the work we do fits into this vision. The work that we do makes a difference, our ideas and suggestions count, and we feel like part of the team. We live the WGU cultural beliefs: one-by-one, advance equity, aim true, own it, trust generously, engage respectfully, and achieve together. We strive to inspire and enable our students, our people, and ourselves to be better.
The Digital Assets Management System team, led by an experienced tech lead who’s willing to both share his expertise and listen, is highly motivated, over-achieving, and ever-learning. There’s a sense of purpose in what the team does, visibility into the impact the team has on students and staff, and an excitement to come to work to get it all done.
A Software Engineer II on the DAMS team plays a key role in creating and customizing software that stores and delivers the digital assets used in courses throughout the university. The SEII will implement workflows, add new functionality, fix bugs, and develop tests for the asset management system used throughout the university. Opportunities are afforded to dig into software architecture, get your feet wet with DevOps in AWS and OpenShift, and pioneer new automated tests and testing suites.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Design, implement, document and test web-based applications and web services using Java, REST, JSON and other web technologies
- Deliver high quality projects on time
- Willingness to learn from and help others on the team to deliver software
- The ability to work well in team-based Agile projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Bachelors degree in computer science, information technology, or related field--or equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience developing and debugging Java software using Maven, Tomcat and git
- Experience developing automated tests, including unit tests (junit, TestNG), load tests, integration tests, and UI tests
- Database experience with SQL and NoSQL (MongoDB a plus)
- A good understanding of object-oriented programming
- Familiarity with AWS, including CloudFormation, CloudWatch, and S3, or similar technologies from another cloud provider
- Containerization experience with Docker/Open Container or similar
Disclaimer: This Job Description has been designed to indicate the general nature, essential duties, and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this classification. It does not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications that are required of the employee to do this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This Job Description does not constitute a contract of employment and the University may exercise its employment-at-will rights at any time.