Company is seeking strategic leader as a Vice President Accounting to lead the accounting and financial reporting functions. The VP is responsible for all general accounting financial reporting and regulatory reporting functions on behalf of multiple legal entities within the Company Insurance group of companies and ensures all transactions and activities are within the guidelines established by the Firm. The VP Accounting is a hands-on performing leadership role and in addition to overseeing the work of others is called upon to perform various tasks directly related to financial accounting and reporting to support the business unit. This position will have regular and ongoing contact with senior management state regulators auditors and other professionals in the insurance industry and will coordinate many financial activities with Corporate departments.
In addition to requiring a minimum of 10 years’ experience in positions demonstrating increasing responsibilities including 5+ years managing accounting professionals and CPA designation this position requires exceptional knowledge and experience preparing and compiling STAT and GAAP financial statements for multiple insurance-related entities with different business models.
The position is located in Indianapolis Indiana.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensures accurate and timely preparation and dissemination of financial management reports including but not limited to: STAT and GAAP financial statements consolidated core earnings reports reinsurance and funds withheld accounting and the preparation of various reports as required by senior management regulatory departments and rating agencies.
- Monitors and oversees general accounting activities and transactions related to: suspense accounts accounts receivable/payable disbursements bank reconciliations system and account reconciliations and general ledger maintenance and completes special accounting projects.
- Develops strategies as related to reporting practices applying financial principles and maintaining the integrity of financial data. Establishes maintains and monitors internal controls related to all reporting and accounting functions in accordance with company policies and practices and standard accounting practices.
- Performs technical accounting research and drafts memorandum for new or complex transactions and accounting pronouncements.
- Coordinates with the financial planning and analysis (FP&A) function in preparing budgets forecasts and variance analysis.
- Leads and develops a team of accounting professionals to meet or exceed department goals and objectives. Involved in the interviewing hiring and training of new employees evaluates performance and makes decisions regarding employment status. Coaches and motivates staff to continuously provide excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Involved in and/or coordinates various audits of company records including internal and external auditors various departments of insurance personnel and internal revenue agents.
Skills and experience required:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent training and experience in Accounting or Finance; advanced degree preferred
- CPA required
- Minimum 10 years related Finance Accounting and Reporting experience including 5+ years managing accounting and finance professionals
- Exceptional experience preparing and compiling STAT and GAAP financial statements for multiple entities with different business models
- Working knowledge of reinsurance agreements and related accounting and reporting for multiple entities strongly preferred
- Excellent oral written listening and presentation skills and ability to clearly articulate complex information to others
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and solve problems and issues of all types
- Ability to establish positive relationships and work effectively with all departments and affiliates to ensure integration of strategic goals and principles
- Demonstrated ability to utilize technology to work more efficiently more productively and as an auditing tool. Advanced working knowledge of basic MS Office including Word and Excel PC applications and accounting-specific applications.
In addition the ideal candidate must demonstrate the following skills and attributes:
- Ownership accountability and ability to instill this in others
- Results and detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and execute under pressure. Internally driven and self-motivated
- Intellectual curiosity forward-thinking