This is a construction position. Construction is major function of a division and focuses on building homes in a certain geographic market.
The VP of Construction is the top construction position in a division. The VP of Construction is responsible for the Construction and Customer Care Departments, where applicable. The VP of Construction is responsible for the scheduling, cost control, quality and customer satisfaction of homes built.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the construction process to ensure quality craftsmanship and customer satisfaction are present in both the construction and customer care activities through field inspections and customer contact.
- Oversee the use of BuildPro to guide the scheduling of construction phases and efficiently manage cycle time.
- Meets with managerial staff to identify, recommend and implement process changes that increase productivity, profitability and customer satisfaction.
- Guides the construction and customer care personnel in achievement of daily, monthly and yearly objectives.
- Acts as a liason between construction and sales to coordinate customer care initiatives and address customer concerns.
- May lead weekly department meetings.
- Analyze monthly reports including budget reserves, overages, expenses and write-offs for each new home contract.
- Assist Purchasing Department in negotiation of subcontractor agreement and vendor supply pricing.
- Recruitment, hiring and development of new and current personnel within guidelines established by corporate human resources.
- Assist with special projects as requested and perform additional duties as required.
- Customer Focus -- Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind/ establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Directing Others -- Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributes the workload appropriately; lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
- Decision Quality -- Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Drive for Results -- Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Priority Setting -- Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
- Motivating Others -- Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person’s hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her works is important; is someone people like working for and with.
- Developing Direct Reports -- Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes people to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the development system in the organization; is a people builder.
Additional Skills and Abilities:
- Outstanding leadership skills to develop and continue success of operations with ability to achieve the same through subordinates utilizing management practices and theories.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for high interaction with a variety of people inside and outside of organization.
- Excellent decision-making, problem-solving and analytical skills to act with authority in an environment with little direction from others.
- Persuasive attitude with strong negotiation, organizational and detail-oriented aptitude.
- Mathematical aptitude with ability to participate in the development and execution of financial forecasting.
- Upon request of and on terms established by the Company, obtains and maintains all appropriate state or local licenses (e.g., contractor’s license, real estate salesperson and/or broker license, etc.) for the mutual benefit of the employee and the Company and for use by the Company in connection with the Company’s sales, homebuilding and lending activities.
Bachelors’ degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent in specialized training from a four-year college or technical school combined with ten or more years of related experience. A thorough knowledge of management practices and leadership skills in order to manage daily operational activities; knowledge of residential home building industry with appropriate construction experience required.
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements:
Good driving record, possession of a valid driver’s license and auto insurance to comply with Company Auto policies. Travel to various home construction sites weekly.