Responsible for administration and oversight of youth education and youth scholarship programs of The American Legion. Serves as staff liaison to the Committee on Youth Education and other committees or subcommittees as assigned. Administers Samsung American Legion Scholarship and American Legion Legacy Scholarship application, award and disbursement processes. Oversees tracking and disbursement of scholarship awards for all American Legion youth programs. Serves as Director of the American Legion Boys Nation program, and serves as staff liaison to department American Legion Boys State directors/chairmen. Oversees administration of the Hattie K. Tedrow Memorial Fund scholarships and grants.
1. Serves as staff liaison to the national Americanism Commission’s Committee on Youth Education, which includes, but not limited to, preparation of meeting agendas, assisting committee chairman with facilitating committee meetings, formal reports, serving as a resource for program information and providing staff assistance where needed.
2. Program manager for the Samsung American Legion Scholarship and the American Legion Legacy Scholarship, to include, but not limited to, oversight and administration of the application process, distribution of materials and preparation of applications for screening by the national selection committee, promotion of the scholarship, and tracking and disbursing scholarship awards.
3. Administratively tracks, processes and issues scholarship awards of Americanism youth programs, that includes American Legion Baseball, American Legion Junior Shooting Sports, American Legion Boys Nation and the American Legion Oratorical programs.
4. Liaises with national education organizations and may coordinate Legion representation as an exhibitor at national education conventions.
5. Serves as Director of the American Legion Boys Nation program, and serves as staff liaison to department Boys State directors.
6. Oversees planning and facilitation for the Boys State conference segment of the annual national combined Americanism conference.
7. Oversees and administers the Hattie K. Tedrow Memorial Fund; develops and distributes applications and materials for annual notification and corresponds accordingly with respective posts, individuals and the National Finance Division in coordinating the work of the Tedrow Memorial Fund Committee.
8. Helps to promote youth scholarships, School Medal Awards, and all programs and objectives of the Americanism Commission, both internal and external to the organization at national, state and local levels which may include researching/preparing articles for organizational publications, website and social media. Responsible for research, preparation, review and update/revision of assigned literature and publications.
9. Helps to promote annual American Education Week.
10. Prepares and manages an annual budget for the assigned programs.
11. Travel as a representative, and at the direction of the National Organization, to meetings of The American Legion, and to other meetings related to the work of the National Americanism Commission.
12. Other duties as assigned by the Director, Americanism.