UnitedHealthcare is a company that's on the rise. We're expanding in multiple directions, across borders and, most of all, in the way we think. Here, innovation isn't about another gadget, it's about transforming the health care industry. Ready to make a difference? Make yourself at home with us and start doing your life's best work.(sm)
What’s your next step? How will you leverage the experience and your energy to help develop solutions to transform the health care industry? As a Senior Healthcare Economics Consultant at UnitedHealth Group, you can do just that. You’ll lead complex projects that have strategic importance to our mission of helping people lead healthier lives and helping to make the health system work better for everyone. It’s an opportunity to help rewrite the future of UnitedHealth Group as you participate in an innovative, large scale project for the United Strategic platform and drive the development of toolsets critical to business decision making.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Support data management and reporting and analytics nationally for 20M Employer and Individual fully insured commercial and self-funded members
- Refresh suite of monthly production reporting including Cognos time based partitioned cubes, Tableau dashboards and Excel based reports and extracts to support Affordability, Reserving, Forecasting and Actuarial Pricing
- Design innovative business intelligence reporting tools / dashboards to drive business decision making, size Affordability savings estimates and track / monitor Affordability initiatives
- Leverage new technology to help modernize and evolve the reporting tools
- Retrofit reporting and analytics toolsets to point to new data warehousing solution
- Independently write SAS and/or SQL programming code to extract, aggregate and statistically analyze data from various sources
- Provide medical and retail pharmacy claim and non-claim domain (member, customer, provider, benefits / plan design) analyses to help guide information technology partners on the load of data from legacy data stores to a new Teradata enterprise data warehousing solution integrating data from disparate sources into a common / consistent repository
- Perform comprehensive, detailed user acceptance testing of pre-migrated data history and post-migrated / new business USP (United Strategic Platform) data; provide recommendations for testing sign off
- Manipulate high-volume and high-dimensionality data from varying sources to identify patterns, anomalies, relationships, and trends
- Reconcile large volumes of data between various data sources and Financials
- Manage work that is hands-on, project-oriented, self-directed, less structured, and complex
- Work independently and collaboratively with internal customers to deliver technical solutions that add business value and yield actionable recommendations
- Drive communications with all key stakeholders
- Improve and extend the analytic methods and capabilities of our current solutions, algorithms, and business processes
The challenges here are significant. You’ll be part of an intensely driven and focused team that is accountable for the data management and reporting / analytics of large volumes of data to improve business results. You’ll be a trusted subject matter expert who’s called on to understand and explain various data nuances. This is an opportunity to collaborate on a highly visible project to consolidate data from fragmented, disparate sources into a new, modernized reporting and analytics solution for all Employer and Individual business nationally.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, actuarial science, statistics, biostatistics, economics, mathematics, or similar quantitative discipline
- 3+ years of experience developing and designing business intelligence tools in Cognos, Tableau, Microstrategy, or Business Objects (or similar tool)
- 3+ years of medical and retail pharmacy claims data analysis; understanding of varied data nuances across disparate source systems. Broad understanding of common data enrichments including service category derivation, inpatient / outpatient confinement building, utilization counting, etc.
- 1+ years of hands-on computational problem-solving experience in a healthcare environment including extracting data from large relational databases; understanding medical codes; and working with structured and unstructured, claims, enrollment, and provider data
- 1+ years of SAS and/or SQL programming experience with demonstrated expertise in data manipulation, data visualization, statistical analysis, and financial model building
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Master’s in computer science, statistics, economics, or similar quantitative field of study
- Hands-on experience designing reports to meet business needs
- Hands-on experience working with data stemming from multiple claim processing systems such as Unet, Pulse and/or Cirrus
- Experience designing reports in Tableau or Microsoft Power BI
- Fluency in other programming languages (Python, R, etc.) and experience with multiple storage and integration technologies (Teradata, Snowflake, Hive)
Desired Abilities and Leadership Competencies:
- Expert ability to problem solve - define problem, troubleshoot independently to determine root cause and propose solutions to resolve
- Ability to independently drive decision making
- Crisp verbal and written communication skills to bridge gap between business and information technology partners
- Demonstrated ability to work in ambiguous situations and have influence across organizational boundaries
- Ability to work at both a conceptual and detail level with strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to adapt to new circumstances, information, and challenges in a fast-paced environment
- Able to independently manage multiple projects with critical deadlines
- Self-starting, flexible, adaptable, curious, passionate, innovative, confident, strategic, team-oriented, positive
- Laser focused and significant attention to detail
- Hungry for impact and growth
- Motivated to constantly learn
Raising our game with respect to Data Management and Reporting will help UnitedHealth Group maintain our industry leadership position for years to come.
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
Colorado Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado residents is $64,800 to $116,000. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you’ll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job keywords: Healthcare Economics Consultant, Healthcare Economics, Healthcare, Congos, SQL, Excel, Data, Tableau, Microstrategy, Business Objects, SAS, SQL, Shelton, CT, Connecticut