Facility: OrthoIndy Carmel Clinic, Carmel, IN
Department: Clinic Services
Shift Details: PRN as needed, Varied hours
At OrthoIndy everything we do is about creating a caring, connected and committed workforce that directly improves the quality of life for our employees and customers.
Be a part of something great!
General Statement of Duties
The Patient Access Representative will perform all registration, check-in, test scheduling, and check-out duties for OrthoIndy and Urgent Care Clinic visits. This position schedules patient return visits, tests, injections, and other patient needs at the appropriate facility. The Patient Access Representative coordinates services among the patients, physician offices, insurance carriers, and service departments. This position ensures insurance entry, verification, network benefits and eligibility, physician referral and clinical documentation are complete and accurate.
- Patient Registration: Completes patient registration collection and reviews demographic information, insurance, identification, meaningful use, employment, primary care provider, referral source, health history, and consent to treat. Notifies patient of Notice of Privacy Practices, Patient Rights and Responsibilities, In or Out of Network Benefits, and Financial Liability.
- Check-in: Responsible for checking in patients for OrthoIndy and Urgent Care Clinic appointments or walk-ins. Reviews schedules in advance to anticipate patient needs prior to arriving for appointments. Calls for referrals as needed. Checks Medicaid eligibility for all self-pay or Medicaid patients prior to and day of appointment. Runs schedules and reports for next business day. Checks for add-ons, schedule accuracy and completeness, incomplete registration or documentation, etc.
- Check-out: Checks out patients in EHR and makes sure patient status is complete. Schedules patients for follow-up visits, translation services, physical therapy and test procedures as needed. Collects payments for copays, records, outstanding balances, cash pay visits, and OrthoBiologics. Reconciles cash box, credit card batches, and cash and check payments at close of business. Makes daily bank deposits as required by clinic location or at department leadership request.
- Test Scheduling: Schedules and communicates time, date, and location of OrthoIndy tests, requirements prior to test procedures, and completes medical questionnaire with patient to ensure patient safety. Annotates test information and collects stent and implant information for MRIs. Schedules follow-up appointments. Acts as a liaison between Radiology Department and patient. Ensures patients scheduled at outside facilities are moved to appropriate worklist or queue for contact, precertification and scheduling. Manages STAT and urgent test orders. Understand and follows insurance authorization guidelines when scheduling tests.
- Customer Service: Greets and escorts all patients and visitors in accordance with OrthoIndy guidelines. Participates in service recovery. Understands and educates patients on facilitation of care. Uses de-escalation techniques and conflict resolution skills. Fields patient complaints. Utilizes incident reporting system for patient incidents. Communicates with other clinic staff and physicians regularly. Conveys wait times and delays to patients. Answers internal calls and external transfers at work stations. Answers Urgent Care phone calls as needed.
- Assists patients with registration form completion on kiosks or tablets. Offers to complete patient information using proxy mode for patients unable to complete tablets. Implements downtime procedures during internet outages and software glitches. Communicates technology issues to IT department.
- Responsible for tracking and communicating no shows, patient fails, communication fails to appropriate departments and staff, including manager, director, physician, Support Services, Imaging or security.
- Travels to other OrthoIndy Clinics and outreach sites as requested.
- Participates in monthly clinic staff meetings, monthly safety checklist completion, annual education, continuing education, policy and process improvement, Quality Assurance measures, employee engagement, annual safety surveys, lunch schedule completion, desk reassignment, and other tasks as assigned by department leadership.
- Assists with a variety of other duties, including but not limited to; helping patients with wheelchairs or other restrictions as needed, cleaning and maintaining the appearance of various clinic areas, providing office supply orders to managers, maintaining stock of patient forms, confirming all patients are checked out of EHR at the end of the day, delivering all received paperwork to appropriate person or department, and that labs are ready in lock box for courier pick-up.
- High School Diploma/GED required
- Specialty Training Beyond High School preferred
- 1-2 years of patient registration experience preferred
OrthoIndy is an Equal Opportunity Employer